August 1, 2018 - Starting with the first day of school for the 2018-19 school year (August 16, 2018), Sidney City Schools will be implementing a new traffic pattern for Sidney High School and Sidney Middle School.
For several years, there have been safety concerns at the back of both SHS and SMS when the buses are unloading and loading before and after school. High School students who drive, parents, and general traffic who travel through the loading and unloading areas have been an “accident waiting to happen.” All the while, it has become difficult for the buses to maneuver from SMS to SHS for pick-up at the end of the school day.
With student safety in mind, the following steps will be implemented starting on the first day of school for the 2018-19 school year:
- The lots in the “rear” of both schools will be designated BUS drop-off and pick-up lots ONLY.
- Gates will be installed to control traffic flow at the two ends of the rear high school parking lot and on the southwest side of the middle school.
- These gates will be closed for through traffic at 6:00 AM and opened back up at 3:00 PM to allow for safe bus drop-off and pick-up. On weekends, the gates will be open and not in operation.
- Students coming to school or going home from school in a vehicle other than a school bus will be required to go to the front of the buildings for the drop-off and pick-up. No private vehicles will be allowed in the restricted area from 6:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- Traffic flow from the SHS student parking lot will exit to Campbell Road only at ALL times.
Please refer to the map. SHS students will be expected to only park in the east parking lot.